The ESRP-Food (Economical Stressed Rural Population) project is financially supported by World Food Program (WFP) for duration of 3 months (Mar 2017 to May 2017). The project is implemented by STARS in Sayed Abad, Chak and Daimirdad districts of Wardak Province of Afghanistan.
The overall objective is to respond to the food-security needs of Economically Stressed, Most Vulnerable People, IDPs and Returnees affected by Conflict, and People Affected by Natural Disasters and job opportunities for young generation of the affected communities in 3 districts of Wardak province and the population which covered is 2034 beneficiaries.
The project will ensure it gives vulnerable rural households a unique opportunity to build infrastructure and basic livelihood to improve their lives and food security of communities in 3 districts of Wardak province.
- Objectives of (ESRP) Project:
- Respond to the food-security needs of Economically Stressed, Most Vulnerable People, IDPs and Returnees affected by Conflict, and People Affected by Natural Disasters in 3 (Sayed Abad, Chak and Daimirdad) districts of Wardak Province
- To meet the urgent food and nutritional needs of dwellers in 3 districts of Wardak province whose food security has been adversely affected.
- Support the recovery of communities affected by natural disaster shocks.
- Overall, a total of 2,034 Recipients in Wardak Province benefited directly from this project through receiving three months mixed food ration. STARS responsible for distribution of food through food distribution committee for the period of 3 months in all 3 districts of Wardak province.
- Increased food security status of 2,034 (STARS in close consultation with WFP outsources monitoring team and local communities targeted up to 15% the most vulnerable women headed families, aged people and disable for three months’ free food distribution) vulnerable households using immediate and long term sustainable livelihood interventions that improved lives and supported greater financial inclusion.
- 2,034 beneficiaries supported with 366.121 Metric Tons of mixed food distribution.
- STARS created job opportunities directly for 2,034 persons for three months and addition to 26 persons of project program staff.
STARS prepared the real volumes and units for the project activities and the number of the involved labors for the 3 months ESRP project.
- Repairing of Secondary Roads
- Canal Repairing ,Canal Cleaning
- Making of Small Dams
- Repairing and Retaining Wall
- Forest Rehabilitation
- Job opportunities for young generation of the affected communities in Wardak Province.
In fact, at the initial stage the work “road repairing” commenced at three districts of Wardak Province. the worsening security situation was the main challenge and constraint which hampered STARS to accomplish and rehabilitate the road in 3 districts of Wardak province.
Although, due to security reasons the beneficiaries could not complete the works of repairing of secondary canal and roads, canal cleaning and etc. but free food was provided to 2,034 vulnerable beneficiaries who were in desperate need of assistance and this can have described as achievements.